Monday, August 29, 2005

UPDATED: *Digitally* Check out Audio Books from Public Library.

Most of my friends know I’m an avid (and I mean *avid*) consumer of Audio books. I listen to 15 + Audio books a year. I’ve got a MP3 CD player in my car with a really nice subwoofer and 300watt amp that does nothing put play 32bit MP3 files of audio books.

I listen to them while I drive and at home when I want to relax and be entertained by something other then TV or Video Games. I must say I don’t know how I ever made the “20 minutes to anywhere” drives that Nashville is so famous for, with out listening to audio books in the car.

So when read this article about being able to digitally check out an audio book from the public library, I got very excited. I’m all for this and have sent a e-mail to the suggestion box at the Nashville Downtown Library. (Is that not the ugliest and most useless website you’ve seen in a long while?)

If you would like to see this service available at the Nashville Library please post a suggestion to the library and reference the Overdrive link below.

The company in the article is OverDrive's library service seems like from there slightly hard to navigate website that they are a pretty major player in the market. Seems like a little research could be done and this could be implemented pretty quickly…

UPDATE: After sending the information I'd gathered to the on-line suggestion box I got the following reply back with in 12 hours or so. Good to know the Library is actively monitoring the suggestion box! I'm excited to hear they are already moving in the right direction! I asked if there was any kind of time frame for this project and I'm awaiting Susan's replay. I'll post again when I find out.

---------------
Librarian 2: Hi Benjamin,The Library is already looking into an audiobook downloading service. Thank you for your suggestion. It feels good to know we are on track.

Susan EarlMain Library Administrator
---------------

UPDATE 2: I just got a reply back from Susan Earl at the library. Sounds like it's a ways off but that's not surprising considering the Library is not privately owned. I know from working closely with Metro IT while being good at what they do, they aren't the fastest at what they do... Susan's reply follows.

---------------

Librarian 2: Well, it is still in the planning stages. I wish I could give a timetable, but we are dependent upon many factors--budget, Metro IT dept., etc. that has to be worked out. We think it is really a cool idea ourselves. It really all part of the future of how libraries can provide better service.

---------------

Thanks again Susan for getting back to me so quickly!

2 Comments:

At 8/29/2005 6:42 PM, Blogger John H said...

I made a 'suggestion' to the library also after reading this post.

I mentioned that I had read about the 'digital audio' possibility in a blog, and she said that several other people wrote in with the same 'suggestion' and apparently they all read the same blog!

The influence of MooCow!!

 
At 8/29/2005 10:05 PM, Blogger Andrew said...

Is your blog available in audio format?
It should be.
Either in your voice, or maybe that Stephen Hawking simulation...that'd be hawt.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home