Monday, July 25, 2005

Enclave, posts facts that get my brain and blood boiling.

Enclave posted a quick post today about TN cutting after-school and summer reading programs for children due to budget problems. LINK [READ FIRST] I normally don't say or think much about how this kind of thing would affect someone it all seems so "somebody else’s problem” {BVH, waves to all Hitch Hickers fans and says prepare to see the problem as it will soon be yours!} this time however I stopped and thought about how it might affect someone and in the end I got pretty upset… So here are my thoughts:


It's shocking how important using your reading and writing "muscles” can be. I've never been a big writer or reader however since starting my blog and picked up a couple books over the last 5 months I've noticed a huge increase in my ability to read and write. What's more shocking is that my vocabulary has gotten back in shape I notice my self not having to stop and think of the correct word to fill in a sentence and it’s easier to express myself correctly and thoroughly.

Reading and writing has to be fun for children for it to be affective I believe but removing these programs all together will be altogether destructive.

The unfortunate reality is our children have to get this from the school systems because they aren't getting it from the people who are actually responsible for teaching them to enjoy and respect things like reading and writing. Face it the parents of this country (as a whole) suck.

There are lots of places to divert the blame of them being bad parents but the reality is it’s your choice to educate yourself on being a parent and most importantly it your choice to actually spending time with your children, get to know them, and teaching them the things they need to know to be a healthy balanced person. No one expects perfection but we’re just laying around in our own self absorbed, workaholic, fat ass TV pop culture laziness at this point and our kids are taking the fall for it.

2 Comments:

At 7/25/2005 11:41 AM, Blogger audi said...

Honestly, I think the only thing that can save Tennessee education is privately funded programs that offer after school, in-school, and summer programs. I'm actually suprised that no one has thought of that yet.

The ironic thind is that so many schools have computer labs, and the teachers get computers, and they watch videos on TV's, and they have new sports uniforms, and buses for the football players to travel in... and yet we can't afford books. Which, in bulk, cost about 3-8 bucks apiece... and there are tons of programs with places like amazon where they donate books... and all you need is a few people who know how to read, and be patient.

how expensive is that?

 
At 7/25/2005 1:22 PM, Blogger S-townMike said...

Back at you Moo_Cow.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home